CRIȚ

Part of Bunești commune, the village of Criț was formerly called Kreuz (cross), which is due, according to local tradition, to a large cross located on a promontory, visible from a distance from the three neighboring communes - Criţ, Cloaacerf and Meendendorf. Around her the first houses of the settlement were grouped, a stone church was erected, dedicated to the saint. Cross. From two documents, dated 1270 and 1272, we learn that King Stephen of Hungary, according to the law of the Szeklers, confirms to Laurentius, the son of Hylyees and his son, also Laurentius, the possession of the lands near Szederges (Moreni), with the church dedicated to St. Maria, and Scentkerest, with the stone church dedicated to St. Crosses, from the surroundings of Tileagdului (alias Odorhei).   In the summer months the church is open daily. The keys are to Mr. Dietmar Depner tel .: +40/740/597 493 Visitor groups are kindly requested to contact Mr Depner in advance.   Do not miss in Criţ: · A large table, with organic products, directly from the yard and garden, at the Aunt Rozi (no. 100, 0745 030 461, office@cazare-crit.ro) · A stroll through the village and the surrounding area · Haferland Week and the Great Ball in the Churchyard, August     + "more details"   Criţ belonged, in the medieval period, together with nine other Saxon communities from Transylvania (among them Cloaighterf - Klosdorf and Meendendorf - Meschendorf), from the Cistercian Abbey of Cârţa, which was extremely involved in the colonization of the uninhabited space between the Sighişorai Chair and the one to the Rupea. Also in Criţ over 400 years ago, the first rural school law in Transylvania was adopted. "In the past, this location required the presence of a guard of the city who had been a shoemaker or at least a good craftsman. This is simply because the road to the church is steep and paved with round river stones. Going to take part in Sunday's work, many women broke their heels here, which were once reinforced with horse-drawn horseshoes. So a boot was absolutely necessary to make repairs before entering the church. ” (source: Fortified Churches Foundation)

Sitemap

Terms of use

Privacy policy

© 2020 by WPI and the Transylvanian Highlands.

Proudly crafted with Wix.com

    This website was created in a collaborative project between three students of the Worcester Polytechnic Institute and the Transylvanian Highlands.