Saschiz fortified church
Built at the beginning of the 14th century, Saschiz (Keisd) was successively populated mostly with Szeklers, Saxons and Romanians, always competing with the fortress of Sighisoara in the medieval period. The most visible proof of this continuous competition is the clock tower, near the Fortified church. It still preserves many similarities with the Clock tower in Sighisoara, which was actually the main inspiration for the one in Saschiz.
Saschiz is located in the S-E part of the Târnavelor Plateau, 20 km souht-east from the city of Sighisoara on the European road E60 and 100 km north-west from Brașov.
The construction of the evangelical church lasted over 30 years, at the turn of the 15th-16th centuries, on the site of a Romanesque basilica. The vault of the nave was rebuilt in 1878. The interior of the church is predominantly baroque, with gothic accents, and the outer walls retain fragments of inscriptions.
May - October: daily, 09:00 to 18:00
November-April: daily, from 09:00 to 16:30
For a guided tour of the church or just for the keys, you can contact Mrs. Dorothea Batea-Ziegler
Phone: +40 265 711 755 and +40 748 707 930
Address: Saschiz, no. 497
Mihai Stecu, Tudor Gheceff, Charlie Dalmasso, Dan Dinu